文字サイズ
縮小
標準
拡大
  • 色合いの変更
  • Foreign Language
  • 携帯サイト
  • 検索方法
  • サイトマップ
  • 組織案内

ホーム > 観光・文化・スポーツ > 観光 > 「国宝高岡山瑞龍寺」青銅鋳造模型について(English)

ここから本文です。

更新日:2017年12月4日

「国宝高岡山瑞龍寺」青銅鋳造模型について(English)

zenkei

sanmonbutudenhatto

soumontousuzendou

About the Zuiryuji Temple

Toshiie Maeda was the first lord of the Maeda family who ruled over the Kaga Domain. Around the time of becoming a powerful feudal lord of the Echizenfuchu area, Lord Maeda was a devout follower of Keijyo Daitou, a Zen priest from the Hoenji Temple, which was located in close proximity to Fuchujo Castle. From that point onwards, Lord Maeda ensured that a temple entitled, Hoenji, be erected in the surrounding area upon the construction of his new castle in the Nanao and Kanazawa region.

In 1605, Toshinaga Maeda, the 2nd lord of the Kaga Domain, surrendered his title to Toshitsune Maeda, his half-brother, born from a different mother and aged 30 years his younger. Toshinaga Maeda was just 44 years old at the time of his retirement. After moving to Toyama during the latter stages of his life, Toshinaga Maeda decided to follow in the ways of his father and built a temple entitled, Hoenji, in an area on the outskirts of where his castled was located. Unfortunately, Toyama Castle would later be destroyed by a fire. It was after this treacherous blaze, that Toshinaga Maeda decided moved to the area of Takaoka and ordered the construction of Takaoka Castle and relocated the Hoenji Temple. This marks the beginning of the history of the Zuiryuji Temple. It would be at this temple that the Buddhist memorial ceremonies for Toshiie Maeda would be performed.

In 1614, after the passing of Toshinaga Maeda Toshinaga, the funeral proceedings were conducted at the Hoenji, thus this temple came to be considered as the Maeda family temple. The name of temple was later changed to Zuryuin which was derived from Toshinaga’s posthumous Buddhist name,

 “Zuiryuinseizaneikendaikoji”. Later, the temple would be renamed once again to Zuiryuji.

After Toshinaga’s death, Toshitsune, the 3rd lord of the Kaga Domain, felt a tremendous amount of gratitude towards his elder brother. Left with a vast amount of wealth and mourning the loss of Toshinaga, Toshitsune decided to build a large temple. The expansion of the current Zuiryuji of the time, would be the start of the project. After much hard labour, the temple would finally be complete 20 years later, coinciding with the 50th Buddhist memorial anniversary of Toshinaga’s death in 1663. The grounds of the complex included Somon, Sanmon, Butsuden, Hatto which were all positioned in a perfectly straight line. Corridors were also symmetrically designed found on both the left and right hand-side of the main temple. It was said that this layout was inspired by the Jinsanwangshousi Temple in China, which was designed to look like the image of Buddha (see the image on the right). The temple was originally surrounded by a moat.

In 1746, the front part of Zuiryuji was lost in fire and rebuilt at a later date. The temple was under the patronage of the Maeda family until 1868 (Edo period), It was after this time that the Warrior Domain System was abolished and the temple fell into poverty. In order to salvage some money, the building for the temple toilet and bathroom were broken up for and sold for its material. These buildings have yet to been rebuilt till this day, though a reconstruction can be seen on this model.

The Zuiryuji Temple was highly revered for its Buddhist architecture during the Edo period. In 1985, a large scale renovation of the ground was initiated over a period of 10 years. In 1997, Sanmon(High gate), Butsuden(Buddha hall) and Hatto(dharma hall) were designated as National Treasure. Similarly, the Somon (main entrance gate), Zendou(meditation hall), Daikuri(living house for priests), Oosadou(tea house), Takarouka(front corridor), Kitakairou(north corridor), Nantoukairou(southeast corridor), Nanseikairou(southwest corridor) were designated as Important Cultural Property.

About Takaoka Bronzeware

Toshinaga Maeda, the second lord of the Kaga Domain, established the town of Takaoka upon entering Takaoka Castle in 1609. As a part of an initiative to ensure the economic prosperity of the local area surrounding Takaoka Castle, Lord Maeda summoned seven of the finest metal craftsmen from Nishibu-kanaya (modern day Toide Nishibu-kanaya, Takaoka City) to the town of Takaoka and established workshops for them in Kanayamachi in 1611. This would mark the beginning of the history of Takaoka Bronzeware.

At that time, the craftsmen based in Kanayamachi dedicated the majority of their time towards the manufacture of everyday ironware items, such as pots, pans, and kettles. However, these craftsmen began to experiment with a plethora of different metals including, bronze and brass, soon after. In 1615, Takaoka Castle was ordered for abolishment just six years after it was constructed, under the One Castle per Province Law. Fearing the future stability of the town, Toshitsune Maeda, the third lord of the Kaga Domain, decided to transform Takaoka into an industrial hub. It was under this initiative that would see the craftsmen receiving both protection and patronage from the state, which would ultimately ensure the financial prosperity of both the town of Takaoka and Takaoka Bronzeware.

Upon entering the Meiji Period in the late 1800s, metal-smiths found themselves in fear of unemployment due to the Sword Abolishment Act, which prohibited people, with the exception of former lords, the military and law enforcement officials, from carrying weapons in public. Any violators caught with a sword would have their weapon confiscated. Many of these artisans turned to the bronzeware industry as a means of supporting themselves financially. After this, there was a significant shift in the goods the craftsmen in Takaoka were creating, as they began to dedicate their time towards the manufacture of decorative art pieces, as opposed to everyday household items. The beauty and refinement encapsulated in these products began to receive attention overseas, which saw Takaoka Bronzeware being exhibited in many International expositions all across the globe, receiving much praise and being revered for its mastery.

However, the coming of the Pacific War brought about a lack of unprocessed metals, including copper and iron, which ran the industry of Takaoka Bronzeware into devastation. Many artisans cast aside their bronze and began manufacturing aluminum parts at munitions factories. This industrial shift would thus see the growth of aluminum manufacture and the development of the aluminum industry in Toyama Prefecture. The industry of Takaoka Bronzeware would once again begin to flourish soon after the war during the end of the 20th Century, with an increase in demand for bronzeware items, in coincidence with the growing strength of the Japanese economy.

Centuries after the first artisans began mastering their crafts in the town of Kanaya-machi, passing down their talents and techniques to the next generation, Takaoka Bronzeware was nationally designated as Traditional Craft Product in 1975, and later certified as a Location of Origin of the craft in 1979. Furthermore, upon the establishment of a Takaoka Bronzeware Complex in the area of Toide, many bronzeware makers moved their businesses from Kanayamachi to this area.

Nowadays, Takaoka Bronzeware has developed into an industry which proudly boasts a ninety percent share of national bronze alloy manufacturing, which offers a wide range of products, from Japanese tea ceremony utensils, vases, and decorative items, to statues, busts, monuments, Buddhist religious items, and temple bells.

This model of the National Treasure Takaokazan Zuiryuiji Temple is one-hundredth the size of the original and is created using the sophisticated and refined techniques of Takaoka Bronzeware.

お問い合わせ

産業振興部観光交流課

富山県高岡市広小路7-50

電話番号:0766-20-1301

ファックス:0766-20-1496